"Seventh month wait to see a consultant after a heart attack"
About: Crosshouse Hospital / Cardiology Crosshouse Hospital Cardiology KA2 0BE Scottish Ambulance Service / Patient Transport Service Scottish Ambulance Service Patient Transport Service EH12 9EB
Posted by Lindon (as ),
I had a heart attack at the end of June and was admitted to Crosshouse Hospital on a Friday night. I was kept in for the weekend and transferred to The Golden Jubilee Hospital on the Sunday evening. In Crosshouse I was seen by Dr. Chong. A stent was inserted on Monday evening and I was discharged from the Jubilee on Tuesday afternoon. The medical and nursing care (and food! ! ) in both hospitals was excellent.
This hasn't got to do with the subject of this story but it's worth noting: -
1) Neither the trolley which took me to the ambulance, nor the ambulance itself, had the facility to hold a drip. The nurse held the drip on the way to the ambulance and, in the ambulance, the drip was attached with a bent bit of wire to a rail above the window. Also, the ambulance was extremely cold and draughty and I had to constantly stop myself from sliding off the trolley. The "helpful" advice was not to worry, as they'd pick me up if I landed on the floor.
2) I don't think it is appropriate to discharge people from the Jubilee. My wife, who is not a confident driver these days, had to drive to Clydebank and back home again. If, in the name of efficiency, you are going to centralise services you should be prepared to transfer patients back home.
Shortly after getting home, I received a letter from Crosshouse saying that my interview with Dr. Chong would be on in October. Unfortunately, the day before, I received a phone call telling me that Dr. Chong was off ill and a letter would be sent confirming the new consultation date. This arrived last Friday telling me that the new date was at the end of Feb. 2015 - 7 months after my heart attack. I phoned the appointments number but was told there was nothing they could do. I asked if it was possible to be informed if there was a cancellation but was told that they couldn't do that. The only suggestion was that I phone each morning to see if there was a cancellation but I was told it was up to me. A rather curious suggestion in the circumstances.
This can't possibly be right. Obviously, following a heart attack, I have a number of concerns that I would like to discuss with my consultant. There are also outstanding test results, which I have been told my consultant will discuss with me. Surely I don't have to wait seven months to receive these results. There must be some way that I can see Dr. Chong in the next few weeks. Can you help?