"My hearing"

About: Gartnavel Royal Hospital

I have two behind the ears hearing aids and have been waiting for approx 2 months to be seen by audiologist at local hospital. I had an appointment recently and was seen in the morning. I informed audiologist that the sound from my aids was not clear and therefore any adjustment I made only increased volume. I asked if I could have new aids but was told that that was not possible. The computer equipment failed several times and I was left on my own for approx 20 minutes. This meant that I was never wired in so that adjustment could be made to my 4 programmes.

I felt that I was not listened to and any adjustment made was minimal.

Dear Hard of Hearing,

Thank you for getting in touch to highlight the issues you have had during your recent appointment at Audiology. I have passed your comments to the Head of this service and will be back in touch to address the points you have made as soon as possible.

Best Wishes,

Lorna

Dear Hard of Hearing,

Thank you for giving me some time to pass your comments along to the Audiology team. I'm sorry that your visit to the department was not as helpful as you hoped and that you didn't feel listened to. Your comments were sent to the General Manager and Clinical Service Manager for ENT who have taken on board the issues you have highlighted.

The Lead Audiologist also wanted to provide a bit of general information about how the service operates:

"We operate an Open Access repair service Mon-Fri 9am-12.30 and 1-4pm. Patients can collect batteries and have moulds retubed. They can also have their hearing aids checked and discuss any minor issues. The waiting area is shared with endoscopy and there is no privacy for patients to discuss problems in any depth. As we don't have a free room to take patients into, if the problems are more involved we make a review appointment. We usually allocate a 30min review appt to allow time with the patient and waiting times at present are approx 6 - 8 weeks."

I am assuming that the appointment you talked about was a review appointment, however the Lead Audiologist is also happy to look more specifically into your case if you could contact me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

I hope to hear from you soon, but in the meantime I would like to thank you again for providing your valuable feedback.

Best Wishes,