"my dads truly awful experience of your hospital"

About: East Surrey Hospital

My dad was admitted to East Surrey Hospital in the early hours of Friday morning 10th October. He has inoperable brain tumours but required emergency treatment after collapsing at home. Throughout his short time there (he discharged himself) he was left cold, drips were not replaced when they should have been, ignored when he needed to use the toilet, shouted at more than once and treated in his own words like an imbecile. My dad was extremely weak and unable to look after himself. Thankfully, my mother and sisters were able to look after him and get done what was needed but they were not there when he was first admitted or overnight and they had to continually ask/chase/question-it was family who had to alert staff that dads drip had not been reattached. It was family who had to hunt down blankets, it was family who had to repeatedly ask for help on dad's behalf for help with the toilet. What a terrible way to treat an extremely vulnerable poorly man. He was admitted to the same hospital back in February when he was first diagnosed and the care he received was exemplary.

Response from Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager, Marketing and Communications, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

My e mail address is tasha.gardner@sash.co.uk

kind regards

Tasha

Response from Ben Mearns, Chief of Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for your feedback, it is so important that we hear it directly from you so that we can fix the problem and of course apologize unreservedly to you and your family for those awful experiences.

If you feel able to email me on ben.mearns@sash.nhs.uk and let me know a few more details I would be grateful as I am keen to investigate your concerns as soon as possible.

Kindest regards

Dr Ben Mearns

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Dear Anonymous I was very sorry to read your description of your father's experience. If you would like to get in touch with me and give me some more information I would like to find out what happened. My e mail address is tasha.gardner@sash.co.uk kind regards Tasha Gardner Communications Manager Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust