"William Harvey - Please review your systems!"

About: William Harvey Hospital

I realise that the Hospital and the Trust is going through a vast amount of change due to its recent inspections. However, whilst your previous reviews are a mixed bag of satisfaction, I am afraid that my confidence in my local trust is at an all time low, due to various incidents that have occurred with family and friends. This time, I am commenting about myself. When given an outpatient appointment that a Consultant has asked to be within six to eight weeks in follow up, as patients we know ( or we should) that sometimes appointments need to be rearranged. Considering that patients have ongoing problems (or they would not be going to hospital) it seems ludicrous then that such appointments can be postponed for six months, rearranged for a more reasonable time scale, and cancelled again. As the trust has been deemed "inadequate" for the foreseeable future, surely this is something that needs to be addressed? Outpatients is often the first port of call for someone experiencing a medical/surgical problem, perhaps with a view to admission. If your Outpatient Appointments can't be sorted out properly, the faith of your catchment area will not be restored. Please review your modus operandi as soon as possible.

Thank you for your feedback. We are trying our best to review our systems and processes. A large part of this problem is that demand for our service is higher that the resources made available by our commissioners of the service. We continue to have discussions with CCGs (GP commissioners) to see if they are able to provide additional funding for us to recruit additional consultants.