"Left feeling vulnerable with no diagnosis"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / Accident and emergency

Having suffered severe abdominal pain for more than 24hours went to GP who queried ulcer, and advised to go to A&E if not improved. Went to walk-in/out of hours GP who queried IBS. Began being sick, taken to A&E, X-ray revealed ‘shadows’ which needed investigating. Admitted. Continued to be in severe pain. Had just been sick when doctor came to ask numerous questions. Asked why leg was shaking – explained just been sick. Asked what I last ate and I explained that I wasn’t eating as I was being sick and in pain. Was put on drip as I was ‘not eating’. Was taken off drip next morning as it was no longer needed. Told doctor/consultants that I had had my appendix out when 8 years old but on the second day was still being told because of my sickness it may be appendicitis! Was not told what was going on. Was sent for a scan – turned out to be of uterus (I had been told bowel problem) which I found very upsetting. Was kept in for another night as further scan was booked for the morning. Was told in the morning that a scan was actually not required. Eventually was discharged and left feeling vulnerable, ‘done to’ with no diagnosis. Horrible experience.

We are sorry that you have had such a difficult experience after coming in for emergency care. If you would like to speak to someone about your care, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service at: pals@nnuh.nhs.uk Alternatively, your GP may be able to help with your diagnosis and the next steps for your treatment.

Response from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like to speak to someone about what happened, please get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service at: pals@nnuh.nhs.uk