"Disgraceful levels of dignity and respect towards..."

About: University Hospital Of North Durham

Never had a more shocking experience in my life - accompanied my girlfriend to get a wound checked after a cyst removal on her breast and while the nurse was checking the wound, a doctor walked into the room unannounced, and kept the door about 1/4 open for about 30 seconds after the nurse said "I'm with a patient". Bearing in mind that the room is directly attached to the waiting room, so that everyone waiting could also see into the room. The nurse then proceeded to leave the room mid-examination for another 15 minutes while we sat and waited. My girlfriend didn't know where to put herself. She was so embarrassed. I also noticed dirt and other "minor" issues with the cleanliness in the room. e.g. stethoscope ear buds touching tongue depressors, used plastic ear caps for thermometers left on the table etc.

Response from University Hospital Of North Durham

Dear Adam, Thank you for providing feedback on your girlfriend's recent visit to the Urgent Care Centre at University Hospital North Durham. I am very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with her experience on this occasion. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. If you feel this would be useful please contact the Trust’s Patient Experience Team on 0800 7835774. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is patient.experience@cddft.nhs.uk If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website. The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients. Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices. Patient Experience Team County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust Tel: 0800 7835774