"Good Staff at Memory Clinic Mansfield"

About: Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Mental Health Services for Older People – Community (County)

The staff at the Memory Clinic were very good. It just took a few months from first appointment to get diagnosis for my Mum's Alzheimer's and they did seem very thorough.

Only problem I had was getting her doctor to refer her to a specialist. I started taking Mum to her GP in early 2013 and I had to persist for about 16 months! Luckily we saw a GP who was a locum working on relief or it would have been too late!

I thought GP's were aware of how important it is to diagnose Alzheimer's. It wasn't in our case.

Response from Lynn Bennett, Memory Assessment Service Lead / Team Leader, Mansfield & Ashfield Community Mental Health Team, Nottinghamshire healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that your experience of the memory service was a good one and hope that this will help anyone who may be referred to the service.

We will continue to work with the GP surgeries in the area to highlight the need to refer to the service at early signs of memory loss.