"Lillian and her team have helped me live with diabetes"

About: Kingston Hospital / Diabetic medicine

Had a check up with my diabetes nurse (Lillian) at Kingston upon Thames hospital today.

Was admitted to hospital in June 2002 seriously unwell with a blood sugar level in excess of 75mml/l. So high, in fact, that it most of the equipment they had couldn't measure it. Instantly diagnosed as a type 1 which I had probably been for about five months.

After the A&E consultant Lillian was the first diabetes care professional who came to see me on the ward. Frankly very little of what she said made sense because I was still coming to terms with my diagnosis. Having been a previously fit 40 something, low alcohol consuming, non smoker with a healthy lifestyle I had difficulty taking in my situation.

Over the years Lillian and her team have always had time to answer my questions, no matter how trivial they have may have seemed. To me getting the answers to these questions and guidance about living with type 1 have been absolutely crucial. Like most sufferers with chronic conditions it's very easy to feel isolated and alone but with the back up and support of a dedicated and caring team I have realised that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Response from Claire neely, Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Diabetes Team

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback, we as a team at the DDU are delighted to hear that you don't feel isolated with your diabetes and that you feel supported by Lillian and the team.

Response from Kingston Hospital

Thank you for your comments, we really do value your feedback so will be sharing it with the Diabetes team.