"Care in Hairmyres Hospital"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

My Mother fractured her hip recently.

She was admitted to Hairmyres Hospital. She was fasted over 3 nights and her surgery was cancelled for the 3rd time on Sunday afternoon.

Response from Susan Friel, Chief of Nursing Services, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Wasp72

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's poor experience while waiting for surgery. Unfortunately over the last 2 weeks we have had an unusually large number of patients needing surgery to fix fractures. To try to deal with this we have run extra theatre lists all through last week (sometimes 3 at the one time), but it has still been difficult to keep up with the need for operations.

I would be happy to talk to you if you would like to phone. If you want to do so, can I ask that you phone our Patient Affairs Manager, Christine McNeill within working hours. the number for Hairmyres is 01355 585000.

I hope your mother is keeping better and recovers well.

Many Thanks

Update posted by Wasp72 (a relative)

Many thanks for your reply. My Mother thankfully had her operation on Monday.

I fully understand the constraints within NHS Lanarkshire.

My Mother has been attending a number of different specialities within Hairmyres hospital. So far her care has not been very person centered. I am hoping during her recovery in ward 1 that this now happens.

I have been in contact with the Patient Affairs Manager and have raised an enquiry.

Warm Regards