"Walking Away from Diabetes Course"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Diabetes service Orpington Hospital / General medicine Queen Mary's Hospital / General medicine

I was referred by my Doctors Surgery as I was at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes and had high cholesterol, and overweight. I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised when I attended the course with my daughter. The risk of developing diabetes was explained very well, as well as healthy eating and of course the benefits of walking. The trainers were very good and helpful, and the group I was in was very interactive and were our attention was held. Since attending the course I have lost nearly 2 stone in weight, walking to and from work every day and eating healthier. I am no longer at risk of developing type 2 diabetes and my cholestorl has reduced. I would recommend this course for anyone at risk of diabetes and want to make changes to avoid this. Walking has it's benefits and the pedometer supplied helps to encourage you to walk.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare

Thank you for posting your experiences on Patient Opinion.

I am so pleased about the health benefits you are seeing after attending the 'Walking Away from Diabetes' course. This must have made you feel so much better in yourself and your family must be so proud of you.

Keep up the good work and enjoy all the walking!