"My experience helps me sympathise"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was very disappointed with the service I received in A&E at Medway. I was working on a night shift on a ward in the hospital and had to attend A&E due to an injury sustained on the ward. I was left to wait 3 and a half hours until I was seen.

I do not expect special treatment because I work for the hospital however I do feel that being made to wait for such a long time leaves my ward and patients compromised as the ward is short of a nurse for such a long period of time.

It also means that the nurses that have been left to cover the ward on my behalf are therefore under more pressure. I was seen by a very pleasant locum doctor but they were not aware of the trust policy paperwork that needed to be used following my injury, which resulted in me doing most of the paperwork myself.

I feel that as a nurse working for the trust that the service was poor and I can sympathise with patients who are left waiting for long periods of time to be seen.

Response from Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Please accept our apologies that you had to wait longer than expected to be seen in the Emergency department. This is not the standard we expect for our patients. Providing a positive experience by professional, well informed staff, is something that we strive to provide on a daily basis however at times we fall short of meeting expectations.

If you would like to discuss this further then please contact katy.white@medway.nhs.uk

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

It is always disappointing to hear that a patient has experienced a long wait to be seen within the ED and we are working hard to improve this. If you would like to meet so that we can discuss the care that you received in more detail, I would be very happy to do so. Katy White Head of Governance & Risk