"Treatment is a joke!"

About: Totnes Hospital

I attended this hospital with my daughter (5).She fell over in the park up the road. She had cut near her eye quite deep and bleeding alot whilst screaming. I had just moved to Totnes so new nowhere. I got there and they didnt even check her eye out they just told me I had to go to Torbay...I dont drive...who has the £20 there and back for a taxi they told me to get a BUS! This is a complete joke! So unhelpul! I eventually made MY OWN WAY to Torbay with a 5 year old covered with blood dripping everywhere. She had to be put to sleep and have stiches! This was a urgent case where Totnes didnt care!

Response from Totnes Hospital

We are very sorry to hear of your poor experience at Totnes Minor Injury unit. We really value patient feedback so that we can review or practices especially where care has been perceived to have been poor. Unfortunately we have been unable to trace any record of this incident on the information provided. We would therefore appreciate if you could contact our feedback and engagement team on 01626217397 so we can gain more information to enable to investigate and respond accordingly.

Response from April Gradwell, Feedback, Engagement & Care Governance Manager, Professional Practice, Torbay and Southern Devon Health and Care NHS Trust

I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience at Totnes Minor Injury unit. We really value patient feedback so that we can review or practices especially where care has been perceived to have been poor. Unfortunately we have been unable to trace any record of this incident on the information provided. We would therefore appreciate if you could contact our feedback and engagement team on 01803 217397 so we can gain more information to enable to investigate and respond accordingly.

Response from Healthwatch Devon

This comment and the response has been passed to us at Healthwatch.

This reported experience was clearly unacceptable.

We are building a picture of the provision of services in Devon and welcome these comments which will help the NHS improve its services.

If you wish to discuss any health or social care issues with us in confidence, including receiving advice or information about services please call 0800 520 0640, or email info@healthwatchdevon.co.uk or go on-line to www.healthwatchdevon.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Peter Brain

Volunteer

Healthwatch Devon is the consumer champion for Health and Social Care in Devon.