"Superb care during my stay with appendicitis"

About: Royal United Hospital

I wanted to write to say a big thank you to the staff who cared for me before, during and after my recent appendix operation at the RUH. There is a lot of criticism expressed about the NHS and I can only say from my experience it is unfounded. This was my first hospital stay. After watching Bath Rugby demolish Leicester 45-0 (that still sounds good) I realised my grumbling abdo pain was not going to be cured by a couple of pints as I'd hoped, so later that evening, my wife drove me to the RUH. I received the highest standard of care from the receptionist in A&E, a wonderful triage nurse Practitioner, the nurses in A&E and the staff on the Surgical Assessment Unit. The surgeon in particular and the team were superb. Even with my critical (my colleagues might even say overly so) professional eye I really cannot find fault with the way I was treated. Everyone introduced themselves and explained what was going to happen in simple terms. I was regularly offered pain relief and kept informed. Nothing was too much trouble. The wards were constantly being cleaned, infection control standards high and yes the food was fine. I really don't think I could have received better care had I gone privately. In fact I would have missed the camaraderie I saw: that between patients, between staff - teamwork and shared humour is what sustains the NHS, and finally between patients and staff: most didn't know I was a doctor and I felt I was always treated with respect and dignity, with a sprinkling of humour.

Response from Royal United Hospital

We thank you for your comments about your recent care at the RUH and will certainly forward these on to the staff in A&E, SAU and General Surgery who, we are sure, will be very grateful for your kind words. We are very glad that your experience was such a positive one.