"Waiting times unacceptably long with poor excuses..."

About: East Surrey Hospital

You are very high on spin but very low on substance. Treatment was diagnosed at 09.45 by a specialist, the treatment not carried out until 19.00! Eight hours to get urgent treatment! (Not mentioned on your moving wall paper display systems). X-Ray no waiting. To take blood took two hours.( 12 regular patients in front on taking ticket ). Your priority blood taking system over doubled this number!! ( Not a good idea to have two systems in the same place every patient should be a priority, no queue jumpers please. Better not be bupa ). Waiting in AMU to to be admitted for this urgent treatment , I witnessed doctors walking about like headless chickens, not knowing what rooms to use. Doctor starting consultation for admittance with incorrect patient notes. Doctor needed to be told that urgent treatment was requred please, patient obviously in great pain. Excuse for delay was, waiting for blood test! Doctor called to office and going during consultation! Not a good impression, if you are not getting the simple things right then trust goes out the window. East Surrey hospital is a cold and breezie place, particularly felt in waiting areas. Talks up the need for hygiene, but has out of order hand dryers in toilets! Uses vdu to display to show inane information. Cheapest car parking, when it should be free and ample, is the only info I can recall, it is not a good idea. Better to but a Donald Duck short on. What are these costing the NHS? In no way what so ever am I criticising the medical staff I met. They were wonderful, even though they were over worked and tiered. Some going that extra mile. This was due to their character and love of what they were doing, not from higher 'management'. Lions lead by donkey's spring to mind.

Response from Ben Mearns, Chief of Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Screen-name?

I really sorry to read about your poor experience at East Surrey Hospital.

Kindest regards

Dr Ben Mearns

Response from Michael Rayment, Service & Quality Director, Frontier Pathology NHS Partnership, Pathology, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Screen-name?

I note your concerns with the priority ticketing system in Pathology for blood tests and wanted to write to reassure you that the priority tickets are for NHS haematology patients waiting to see the Consultant Haematologsits in clinic held in that area several times during each week. These patients are very unwell and many have blood cancer (e.g leukaemia) and the laboratory has to analyse a blood sample quickly before they see the Consultant. This the only reason for the priority system and has nothing to do with prioritising private patients.

I hope I have answered your concerns but if you would like to discuss further please do contact me via e-mail at michael.rayment@sash.nhs.uk.

Kind Regards

Mike Rayment

Response from East Surrey Hospital

I really sorry to read about your poor experience at East Surrey Hospital. I am keen to learn more so that I can answer your questions and hopefully fix the problem. If you are able to let me know please do email me on ben.mearns@sash.nhs.uk or else I will progress matters using the information here. Kindest regards Dr Ben Mearns