"Nursing, Seabathers"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I have visited my mother in-law this afternoon who was admitted in Seabathers ward. I arrived on the ward at 1430hours, there were 2nurses in the bay who were very polite and smiling but both of them had failed to smell the whiff of urine that was coming from my mother in-law's bedside. I immediately asked for her to be changed and this happened immediately. I asked to speak to her nurse and I was informed that she was in a meeting to which I waited. My mother in-law was not positioned properly and was having to raise her neck in order to see us, I had to reposition her myself (not an issue). On arrival her table was placed away from and the first thing she asked for was a drink of water which she could have reached for had the table been placed within reach. I then saw the nurse after 2 hours of being on the ward and asking a few times (I appreciate she was in a meeting but someone else could have told us what was going on). My mother in-law had been prescribed 3 units of red cell blood to which she had received just 2 the last one being 1800 hours on Saturday 13 September . I was told that the third unit had not been given because they were waiting for HB results to be reported back. In my knowledge bloods should have been sent four hours post transfusion, meaning they should have received the results somewhere between midnight and this morning but at 1615hours they were still waiting. Considering I had waited two hours to speak with someone, I doubt the samples had been sent or if anyone had bothered to check the results to know if the third unit was required or not. As much as the nurse were very polite and smiling I find that the nurses lacked the basic concept of care to understand that the patient needed access to water or fluids, she needed changing, and she needed to be positioned or repositioned properly in order to eat and drink or even see those people she ws communicating with. May I say her fluid balance chart had not been charted at all for the whole day there was nothing documented. The repositioning chart had been pre-filled until 2200hours and a new one for the same date left blank (?)

Thank you for providing us with feedback, please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net and we can arrange to talk about your observations of nursing on sea bathing ward.