"Rude Maternity Unit Receptionist"

About: Heartlands Hospital / Maternity

I attended the department in early September for my 12 week dating scan. This was my first time in the unit. I had my scan and was told by the sonographer to go to the desk in a couple of minutes where I can purchase my scan photo. After five minutes I was then directed by the midwives at the desk to an office next to the blood test room which was occupied by one lady.

When asked about purchasing scan photos she pointed ahead of her to a machine, the machine was broken and unable to be used. I then returned to her office and asked her if I could purchase the scan photo from her, she saw that I had a £20 note in my hand and said in a very abrupt and patronising manner "I don't have change my love, I'm NOT a shop!" Being in the healthcare profession myself, I find it totally disgusting that staff can speak to patients in this manner.

I will be finding out her name on my return visit, as I feel that it is unacceptable to behave in this way. Also the scan booking line needs to be reviewed, the line is constantly engaged and you are unable to get through to somebody. Could there not be a queuing system in place on the phones?

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear LLD13- Sorry to read your feedback, this clearly isn't what we expect from our staff. If you're happy to email me with further details iona.belgrove@heartofengland.nhs.uk. I will pick it up directly with Radiology concerned.

Apologies once again.