"Cut foot with ceramic shards removed - Excellent..."

About: Newquay Hospital

I attended on the weekend evening of 13 Sept 2014 with a deep cut caused by ceramic sink demolition that had had wrong leaving small ceramic shards in the cut. I was attended to very promptly by an HCA and then a nurse. Both were very friendly and helpful. They cleaned out the wound expertly and removed all the shards they could. The x-ray unit is not available at weekends and the nurse clearly identified the treatment options to avoid an unnecessary trip to Trellisk hospital for x-rays to ensure all debris had been cleared. She obtained my approval. The wound was dressed and appointment made for the Monday morning for an X-ray at Newquay to confirm the wound was clear. Only if not would a main hospital visit be required. This seems like a very good use of resources for minor injuries not requiring the facilities of full blown A&E department. Excellent service.

Response from Newquay Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. We want to make sure that our teams know when they have made a positive difference, so we will pass your appreciation on to those who were involved in your experience of care at Newquay Community Hospital.