"Ungrateful patients"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I was admitted to hospital from an ambulance and had my gall bladder removed and was discharged within 36hours. The service that I received was first class from friendly efficient staff. On my ward was a woman who had been in hospital for some time, and instead of being grateful of the staffs efforts treated these nurses as skivvies. On this particular night this woman kept me and 2 other patients awake all night with her constant demands for attention. Demanding that the nurse in attendance go and get her preferred nurse. She was told this nurse was with another patient and actually told this nurse that she would have 'to do' and got her doing a menial task. 5 times she called nurses to switch on her light the last time refused and 4 times to switch it off. Our nurses do everything they can taccommodate patients but there are some patients who are so self centred and concerned with themselves no one else matters. Our nurses do a wonderful job and are not there to pander to a patients every whim. They deserve to be respected and treated accordingly.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so much for your kind words. we are also very proud of our nurses who work so hard to provide caring and compassionate care. Thank you so much for your own patience and I hope you are recovering well.