"Hospital Feedback"

About: William Harvey Hospital

Having been admitted to the WHH A&E and a ward, l was ashamed that this is what people in Kent are expected to envisage as health care. The staff appear to oblivious of patients, unless a machine blips. people who can not help themselves left defenceless at the obvious sheer discomfort they were suffering because of lack of help. The toilet and shower facilities were disgusting, no door just a grubby curtain, no sink plug, no where to hang towel, the WC having a higher seat added was stained, the floor sink, and toilet were a disgrace. No privacy, used by both sexes. ~I stayed one night, you are made to fee a nuisance, and all they appear keen to do is fill out ubiquitous forms, despite how unwell you are feeling. Forms are all it appears, certainly above that of the patient. At the age of 69 l came out with a chest infection, the first since childhood, everyone in the ward was coughing. The night staff were noisy, no one offered food or drink, apart from a tepid plastic jug of water, until the next morning, when what went for breakfast was hardly palatable. Compared to the third world l expect it is considered we have nothing to complain about, but we are not YET a third world country. I even pointed out to a member of staff in A&E that the sharps bin was full and needles were sticking out at all angles. no notice was taken of me. I have never had confidence in the NHS knowing many who have had the misfortune to be ill and die there. I am ashamed of the Health Service that appears to tend to protect management rather than make their responsibility of the hospital work for both staff and patients alike. There is a moribund and hopeless feel about the place. People who are at the top should do the job they are paid handsomely to do. The staff should remember that it is not just a job, but a caring job, and when that care is absent or seen as an added extra that no one can afford, we all lose. Mostly the people who come in to hopefully get better, not worse or demoralised. If anyone does bother to read this, which l doubt, it can not be too difficult to begin at a point of honesty and speak out that all is not as it seems, or should be. We all lose, some their lives.

Thank you for your feedback and I am really sorry to read about your experience. Please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net. I would like to follow through on your experience to ensure we capture the learning with the staff involved in your care.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.