"Appalling social services department - nursing..."

About: William Harvey Hospital

I must stress that ambulance, A&E, Cardiac Care and Cambridge K wards all provided excellent standards of professionalism and nursing care. The review relates to the hospital's Social Services department. We encountered appalling lack of consideration when trying to find aftercare for elderly patient who had suffered serious heart attack and was recovering but needed some time in a care home. This was refused point blank because the patient 'didn't meet the criteria' and we were told to 'make our own arrangements'. At no time were we ever told exactly what the 'criteria' were. I contacted a private care home and a helpful person explained the procedure to me and confirmed that I had not been given all the necessary information by the hospital social services person and 'this happens all the time'. Is this a funding issue? Are they deliberately pushing back in the hope that people will pay for care when in fact they may be entitled to partial or total funding? Eventually (and after being told that the person we had been speaking to in the social services department had now left) - we did achieve a satisfactory solution but their attitude and awkward behaviour made a very stressful experience much worse. As has already been mentioned in other reviews - why spend so much time and resource saving the life of an elderly person and then abandon them when they need aftercare?

Thank you for your feedback, I understand your concern, however, this is a service that is managed directly by social services and therefore I will ensure that the appropriate person receives your feedback.