"Long waiting and poor communication in A & E "

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department

I became unwell while at GP surgery. An ambulance took me straight to accident and emergency. On arrival my blood pressure, blood sugar and ECG was taken by a nurse. A lovely medical student spoke with me. When she finished interviewing me I asked if she knew what was happening regarding seeing a doctor she advised me I was to see a medical doctor.

Three hours passed and no sign of a doctor seeing me or a nurse to let me know what was happening regarding my care. I had enough and informed the nurse I was leaving. She said it shouldn't be too long as the doctor was seeing other patients in the ward. I was exhausted having left home many hours before to visit my GP.

I left A and E without being seen. Surely I should have been informed what was happening and if the doctor was particularly busy in A and E (or in a medical ward) further medical support should have been sought. I understand it is a very busy unit with patients with greater medical needs than myself but to sit for over 3 hours with no information offered is unsatisfactory.

Dear SJP,

I am sorry to hear of your experience and lack of information during your visit to A/E, thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you and if you feel able could you contact me on 01698 366002.

Kind Regards

Gillian

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We have made a change

Dear SJP,

Sorry that you have not felt able to get in touch. I have discussed your concerns with the A/E team and asked them to reflect on and review communication within the department. We have just purchased a new electronic waiting time sign which will assist us to provide up to date information for patients waiting to be seen.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me if I can be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,