"Stay after total knee replacement "

About: Wrightington Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I had a Total knee replacement at wrightington, the surgeon, anaesthetist and anaesthetic nurse were extremely kind, after short stay on busy D. Ward I was transferred to ward 5. I am an ex nurse and all I can say is I was shocked at the state nursing seems to descended to. A senior member of staff never leaves their office, never spoke to me once, institutionalised staff, unsmiling, unemphatic, made me feel upset at being a patient, just wanted to get you out as quick as possible. When I left a lazy senior member of staff was two yards away and didn't even say goodbye. A senior member of staff does an excellent job at looking busy with a bunch of keys without leaving the office, some one escorted me to wc chewing gum. The rot starts at the top in my opinion and this ward needs a shake up. (Night staff, tea ladies are nice /kind ) when I came home I sobbed for two days thinking about the whole dehumanising affair.

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your posting following your total knee replacement at Wrightington Hospital. We were sorry to learn of your concerns and the upset you have described whilst a patient on the ward. We would ask that you contact the Patient Relations Department to discuss this further and to give the Trust the opportunity to investigate.