"Poorly handled experience"

About: Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust

(as a carer),

My uncle, 87, with a pre-existing heart condition, needs an ecg as he tells me that his heart has been 'jumping out of his body' for the past couple of weeks, four times a day. His GP says not to worry too much but to book an ECG.

Took 2 weeks to get appointment, I paid for someone to sit with my mum who is having palliative care at home while we go.

Nurse makes him get up on couch on some very rickety steps, gets his feet up then says:

"Oh, I can't do this now. The machine's not working. It was like this yesterday".

"So, " she says to me, "what's the problem? "

Why don't you ask the patient, I say - he's right there, just a bit deaf...

"OK, well, we're on it, so you'll just have to come back when the machine's fixed. "

Me: I think it might be a bit more urgent than that. And how will I know when the machine's fixed?

Nurse: I'll go and see the doctor. What's his name?

Just made me feel like she needed some training in communication skills and handling of patients!

Response from Julian Hayman, Internal Communications Manager, Communications, Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Hello Buffy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback via Patient Opinion. If you can provide us with more information regarding which surgery you are referring to, we can pass on your comments to the Practice Manager at the surgery.

If you would like to forward more detail about the situation, my email address is Sharon.harford@wales.nhs.uk