"Lack of empathy and interest"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Cardiology / Coronary Care Unit

I attend an outpatient appointment today which, I have waited months for. The doctor did not have my notes and reduced me to tears with what appeared to be a lack of interest in my case. The doctor did not appear to empathise when I discussed the position I was in and the stress I felt I was under.

The doctor did however sing their own praises several times reminding me that this was their "specialist" in the particular area. The doctor was cocky and arrogant and has left me feeling stupid and upset.

I understand the doctor does an important job, but what ever happened to building a therapeutic relationship where you can trust that the doctor will give you the appropriate care?

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Jenyt

NHS Grampian is disappointed to hear of your poor experience. All feedback is extremely importent to us as it gives us opportunities to learn and improve. If you would like to discuss your concenrs please call me on 01224 224923 or email me at loldroyd@nhs.net. I would be very happy to talk over what happened.

In the meantime we will pass your comments on to the service concerned. Your experience of care is important to us and we thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

• Jenyt thinks this response is helpful

Response from Cardiology, NHSG

Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback. NHS Grampian aims to be a caring, listening and improving organisation. As such we take all feedback very seriously and try to identify where practise can be improved. Your feedback has already been viewed by the cardiology team in NHS Grampian and they are keen to understand more about your experience. In order to do this we would be grateful if you could contact Vanessa Sandison who is the Unit Operational Manager for the service. Vanessa can be contacted by telephoning 01224 553494 or by email, v.sandison@nhs.net

NHS Grampian would like to apologise for any undue stress on your health. Please be assured that we are taking your concerns seriously and will do our best to learn from any shortcomings.

Kindest regards,

Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience

01224 224923

Vanessa M Sandison

Unit Operational Manager

Room 4.23 Ashgrove House (West Wing)

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary