"No communication or action "

About: North Tyneside General Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

I have been suffering for about 7 months with increasing pain in my leg after suffering a spiral fracture which needed surgery and metal work put in place.

After numerous gp visits and increasing pain medication I was finally referred back to the original consultant at north tyneside I waited over a month for an appointment. When I finally saw them they thought I may have stress fractures down my shin bone causing the pain but needed further investigation. They were not sure which scan either CT, MRI or bone would give the best picture of what was causing the pain so they said they would ask an expert and get back to me and told me I would have an appointment within 2 weeks. I explained I was in alot of pain and am returning to work after maternity leave where I will need to be on my feet for 8hours a day.

I was assured I would be seen within 2 weeks. It is now 3 weeks later I have spoken to the hospital twice and have been informed that my appointment is still in a box in the office untouched. I found out that they have not done anything with it, it has not been dictated or progressed.

I understand doctors are under pressure and are very busy but I am in increasing amount of pain taking more and more pain killers it is affecting my daily life and nothing is being done.

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Madam,

I am so sorry that you have been suffering pain and discomfort in your leg. This must be very difficult to live with day after day.

I absolutely understand your need to have this resolved as soon as possible, particularly when you are due to return to work very soon.

Your appreciation of how busy the doctors are is very kind but this should not impact on our patients and the care we provide in the way that it has for you. I am sorry.

I would be keen to help and would be grateful if you could contact me at Annie.laverty@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk

Best Wishes

Response from North Tyneside General Hospital

Dear Madam, Thanks for sharing this with us - I am genuinely sorry about the pain you are in and the fact that you have experienced a number of delays in geting the assessment and treatment you need from us. If you would like to email me directly I can firtsly find out why this has happened as well as ensure it is picked up and addressed - annie.laverty@nhct.nhs.uk With apologies once again, Annie