"going home . . . ."

About: Heartlands Hospital

going home . . . .

Staff to patient ratio was inadequate. Also, I was never asked what my personal views were on a particular treatment, and some things were never explained to me. I was not 'allowed' as an adult to draw my curtains around my bed, even though I was in a mixed ward, and I explained that I was unhappy about this undignified and outdated arrangement. Food was poor. Bathrooms were filthy. I was made to feel like an alien because I would not accept a blood transfusion. Doctors were rude and spoke over me. Regarding other patients, doctors were very indiscrete, and they talked so loudly I could hear about the conditions of other patients on the ward, just from the doctors.

I would not recommend this hospital as one of choice.

Response from Heartlands Hospital

The hospital's staffing to patient ratio is in line with national guidelines and we would also like to reassure that our wards meet Department of Health standards on mixed sex accommodation. This means that patients are accommodated within single sex 'bays' which contain up to six beds in each. There are several of these six-bed 'bays' caring for either men or women on each ward. Each bay will be same sex with access to single sex toilets and washing facilities.