"Nurse laughed at me in Hairmyres A&E"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Emergency department

I have complex congenital heart disease and a pacemaker. I attend the Scottish Adult Congenital Cardiac Service at the Jubilee and Hairmyres for my pacemaker checks, a consultant cardiologist at Hairmyres receives copies of my clinic letter.

Last week for the first time in my 47 years I had to attend A&E with my heart. Whilst I was on my way to A&E my husband consulted my specialist team at the Jubilee. The clinical nurse specialist informed my husband that I needed to be assessed by a cardiologist and I needed to have my pacemaker interrogated.

I informed the triage nurse of this. Unfortunately she laughed.

I find it hard to express how this made me feel. I rely on my local hospital to keep me safe. Laughing at a patient is completely unacceptable.

Response from David Hume, Director of Hospital Services, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Tess2806,

I am so sorry to read of this awful experience that you had in our A and E department.

This is nowhere near the standard of service we are aiming to provide and plesae accept my most sincere apologies for the distress this has caused you.

Would you please call me directly on 01355584488 so I can get some more information from you that will allow me to investigate this further.

David

Response from Christine McNeill, Patient Affairs Manager, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Tess2806

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us, and I am sorry to hear about your experience in the Emergency Department. David has shared your feedback with the Senior Charge Nurse and staff in the department and as agreed we will be in touch with you again soon regarding the concerns you have raised.

Christine