"Ridiculous my referral letter arrived as I should have been travelling to hospital"

About: Telford referral and quality service (TRAQS) The Princess Royal Hospital / Ear, Nose and Throat

TRAQS contacted me at 3:40 pm on a Friday and arranged an appointment for 10:45 am the next Wed at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital General Ear Nose Throat Service. A confirmation letter would follow. This arrived on the Wednesday at 10: 25 am, by which time I should have been en route to Shrewsbury. This letter was franked from 2 days before and sent 2nd class post. This is ridiculous.

The Hospital rang my GP practice on the Tuesday (the day before) to cancel the appointment as inappropriate. On my behalf the nurse practitioner made a telephone call to the hospital and obtained an appointment for the Thursday at Princess Royal Hospital Rapid Access Unit of Ear Nose Throat. I attended that day, and had good care and treatment is ongoing.

Response from Helen Handy, TRAQS & CAB Co-Ordinator, Telford and Wrekin CCG

Dear Mantra844

I am disappointed to hear that the appointment booked by TRAQS was cancelled by the hospital staff. TRAQS do explain to patients/callers that all appointments we book are subject to change if the consultant feels that a more appropriate clinic is best for the patient.

The team have been advised to send all appointment confirmation letters out by 1st class post if the appointment is within the next 7 days. Please accept my apologies that your letter was sent by 2nd class post but I am relieved to note that the hospital advised you that the appointment was cancelled and that you did not have a wasted journey.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to be seen at the Rapid Access Clinic and hope that you are feeling the benefits of your treatment.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with the team.

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

Thank you for your mixed feedback Di Davis Patient Advice and Liaison Service