""I needn't have worried""

About: Mary Hewetson Cottage Hospital (Keswick) / General surgery

I had an appointment with the continence nurse this morning. I was really worried about my condition before I attended my appointment. I was extremely anxious when I arrived at the outpatients. I needn't have worried about nay aspect of my condition as the nurse was very friendly and very nice assuring me there was help available for me. I am not unique other people do suffer similar symptoms even at my age. She explained every thing very well and what help was available. She gave me some really positive help. I felt so much happier after my appointment. I am really pleased I attended and am extremely grateful for the friendliness, help, advice and reassurance she gave me. I wouldn't hesitate if I require further help in contacting her which is what she told me to do. It is so helpful knowing there is someone who is willing to be of help and who treats you with dignity and respect.

Response from Diane Benson, Continence Advisor, NHS Cumbria

Thank you for your comments regarding the Continence Service. As you stated most people can feel anxious about attending our clinics as the subject is often seen as embarrassing. Your response will hopefully help other people come forward. Thanks again for your time.