"Assisted Conception service at Glasgow Royal"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Gynaecology

My doctor undertook some basic fertility blood tests with the result of slight indication of sub clinical thyroid and my partner had a semen sample test (all fine) nothing else has been undertaken, and we were referred to the assisted conception unit at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary on in March 2014. We received a letter in April telling us that we would be contacted 6 weeks before the appointment date and as we are now at the end August I decided to call to find out if perhaps the letter had got lost in the post. It took me three attempts over a week to get through, when I did I was informed that the waiting list for an initial appointment is 8 months long. I am interested to know:

a) how the waiting list is determined as my friend whom I told to be asked to be referred has already been to the hospital and now knows the reason why she is having trouble conceiving. Obviously there is a different set of circumstance which I won't go into.

b) is there not another way to test people to establish whether there is a simple reason for their problems conceiving. In my case, could it be my thyroid. I have to wait 8 months to be given any treatment.

I will be 40 in November which is making things more difficult. I have been trying for over a year and a half unsuccessfully. I don't know whether I would like to go through with IVF if that was suggested - which is also a further wait for treatment and because of my age I would only be allowed one attempt which is a little unfair as I have been made to wait for a year and a half (firstly by my doctor who told me that they couldn't refer me unless I had been trying for a year and then a further 8 month wait).

I would like to make an official complaint but don't know who is best to address this to?

Dear CAS,

Thank you for getting in touch to highlight the issues you have experienced while using the Assisted Conception service. I'm sorry you have had trouble first of all in getting in contact with the service, and with communication about the waiting lists.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly so that I can give you some information about how to access our complaints process, and also get a few more details from you so that I can answer more fully the questions you have raised above. My email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Lorna

Response from Gwenda Burns, Infertility Network Scotland

Dear CAS,

I am sorry to hear what has happened. My name is Gwenda Burns and am the Scottish Branch Coordinator for the charity Infertility Network. We support anyone from the second they think they may have a fertility problem. We also work with all the Clinics and Health Boards throughout Scotland.

You can email me at gwendaburns@infertilitynetworkscotland.com if you would like further information, support or a chat.

Best wishes

Gwenda

Dear CAS,

I would like to thank you for getting in touch with me directly with more information on the concerns you raised with regards to waiting times for referral to the Assisted Conception Clinic. I understand that you have now spoken with the manager of this clinic who was able to answer your questions and clarify how the waiting list operates. You mentioned however that this waiting list falls short of the recommended waiting time and I understand that you are taking this matter forward through other channels, however if I can be of any more assistance to you, please do not hesitate to get in touch again.

With best wishes,