"Access to medication"

About: HMP Nottingham

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

I would like a bit more transparency on times for medication. I had to choose between my medication and a legal visit. I was 24 hours with no morphine. We should have more information and consistency about times for taking medication. There has to be a proper system in place such as the Manchester establishment.

When new patients arrrive their medication is confiscated before the Doctors here are given enough information.

Agency staff should be better trained too.

Response from Helen Smith 2, Head of Healthcare, HMP Nottingham Offender Health, Nottingamshire Healthcare NHS trust We are preparing to make a change

Thank you for raising your concerns. We are restricted with regards to times for medicines administration by the prison regime. However, I agree that it would be useful for patients to know exactly when they can collect medication and will be placing notices on each wing with the medication administration times.

We do have a process of medicines reconciliation in place, which involves the pharmacy team confirming prescribed medication with community providers and they start this process as soon as someone is received into the prison. Sometimes there is a delay in receiving this information from community GP’s but recent audit has shown that in most cases, this is received and re-prescribed within 24 hours.

Response from Toni Morley, Children & Young People's Patient Experience & Involvement Lead, Family Health Division, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust We have made a change

The medication times were published on each wing for information for patients. We are now working towards a new regime that will enable patients to access medication easily prior to work and as the health provider, we have been involved in the planning of this regime from the start.

We also have the facility to feedback where there are areas that are not working according to plan, therefore I actively encourage continual patient feedback to inform future planning of health and prison services in partnership.

Helen Smith