"Judgmental nurse"

About: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Whilst getting a smear test today at Baillieston health centre, after finding out I was in a relationship, the nurse asked if I was on birth control. I said no, and explained that a few different contraceptive pills haven't agreed with me so I stopped taking them.

After telling her I wasn't interested in the implant nor the coil, she threw me a nasty look and said "what'll happen if you get pregnant? ". I didn't really know what to say so I told her it'd be fine, hoping she knew that I meant that if the condom were to malfunction I would terminate the pregnancy (i.e. morning after pill, etc). I think she figured this out, as she cast a very condescending look my way.

She did conduct the smear test professionally from then on, but the chat beforehand had me feeling very patronised and I felt that I shouldn't have to justify my choices to someone when it concerns my body only.

Dear violetpark,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not up to standard. While I am glad that you felt that the procedure itself was carried out professionally, I would like to pass on your comments to the service in question.

As there are a number of different services located within Baillieston Health Centre, I would appreciate if you could contact me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk to give me some more details.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Lorna