"Birthing unit"

About: King's Mill Hospital

After being told I was diabetic during my pregnancy it was decided I must be induced at 38 weeks. The pessary started mild contractions but they only lasted for 3 hours then stopped. The next day my waters were broken and I was put on the hormone drip, on monitoring belts and another couple of drips, I was therefore bed bound which made the full on contractions unbearable, I had to resort to an epidural. When the time came to push my baby was apparently in distress so I was told I was having a rotational forceps delivery. I use the word told as I wasn't asked or involved in the decision. Luckily although a bit battered my baby arrived safely. I have since however needed prolapse surgery because of the damage caused by the forceps. The midwives were all brilliant but I do feel there is too much intervention, had I been allowed to go to term maybe I would have got the labour I wanted, instead I gave birth in a room full of doctors, nurses and midwives feeling very stressed and undignified and feel I wasn't involved in the decisions. I feel I should have been offered c section, maybe then I wouldn't still be suffering the after effects almost 2 yrs later.

Response from King's Mill Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. We have discussed your comments with the department leader on the Sherwood Birthing Unit who advised that she would welcome the opportunity to speak with you and talk about your birth experience. This valuable feedback helps us understand how our services and care can be improved. If you feel that this would be of benefit please contact our Customer Services team on 01623 672222 (open weekdays 8.30am to 5.00pm), quoting reference number ID:56562, the team will then make the necessary arrangements.