"Care toward my daughter"

About: William Harvey Hospital / General surgery

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter was admitted to Padua ward with a high temperature and needed antibiotics via a drip for 3 days. Both the nurses and doctors were outstanding, particularly Shelley, Beth and Rachel were amazing, as was dr newson.

On the final night, I had the misfortune of having a nurse attach my daughter to the drip. After a few hiccups and her needing to restart the machine, I was left alone in a dark room with the drip machine alarm sounding for over minutes. Despite me pressing the nurse button, myself and my daughter were stuck with the piercing noise for over 15minutes - waking my daughter out of her deep sleep and distracting her from feeding. I received no apology and was treated in a rude manner. Care and attention by select night staff could be improved.

It is such a shame that this incident happened as the rest of my time on the ward, the care towards my daughter was brilliant.

Thank you for your feedback, and I was sad to read about the difficulties you experienced which I agree is not acceptable. Please do get in touch by email and I will facilitate a discussion with our Matron for children's services. We do take feedback seriously for learning how we can improve.

I hope your daughter is fully recovered.