"Some chairs need to be replaced"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital / General medicine

I have been to Bournemouth Outpatients a few times, the last time was in June. Each time I have been I have been struck by the number of elderly patients who struggle and need help to get out of their chair just because none of the chairs have armrests. Armrests would help them to lever themselves up, instead they lose their independence and dignity by having to be helped. I don’t think all the chairs need to be replaced – just a few for people who may struggle.

It’s very different in Poole where all the chairs are both comfortable and have armrests to help patients.

Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear 'Jog227'

Thank you for your comments regarding the seating in our Outpatient Department. I have passed on your comments to the Department who are currently reviewing plans for a refurbishment of this area. The issues you have raised may well be addressed at this time.

Thank you for raising awareness of the surroundings and the impact this can have on other patients.

Sue Mellor