"Poor weekend care"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

My mother was admitted to Hethel Ward last Friday and was left for hours in pain all weekend despite asking staff for help. Her call bell was left unanswered for long periods of time and if my sister hadn't been there at visiting times to insist on a Dr seeing her I feel she would have had no adequate pain relief. She was left in a wet bed overnight despite assurances that someone would help her. It seems that the day staff were better than the night staff but all in all her care until she died on Sunday was totally unsatisfactory and her dignity was definitely compromised. My family will be contacting PALS. I see from previous reviews that staffing had been identified as an issue and this has not been resolved.

Response from Janice Bradfield, Senior Communications and Membership Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

We are very sorry to hear that the standard of care for your mother was poor and we will pass on your concerns to the Director of Nursing. Following a review of our staffing levels, we are investing an extra £2m in nursing staff across our wards and we will be increasing our staffing at night. A recruitment programme is in progress.