"Support for Victoria, Kirkcaldy"

About: Victoria Hospital (Kirkcaldy)

The following letter was sent to the Courier and published 16/8/14

I was very disappointed to read the headline in Tuesday’s edition of the Courier (12/8/14) - “Damning Report on Care at Victoria”. Many seeing this headline would not realise that it refers to only a few problems within this large hospital and I would like to redress the balance.

I was recently admitted as an emergency admission to the Victoria and spent 3 weeks between 3 different wards because of bed management problems (Admissions, Renal and Orthopaedic wards) I cannot speak highly enough of the care and kindness I received in all areas. What did concern me however were the inadequate staffing levels placing an unrealistic workload on the nurses, and I have no doubt that if this was addressed the problems highlighted in the article could be eliminated.

Response from Gordon Birnie, Medical Director, Acute Services, NHS Fife

Dear Hewitt

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. You bring a very welcome balance and I am sure that all the staff will be encouraged by your comments. We do repeatedly review staffing levels and we are going through that process at the moment and I hope we will make a positive statement in the near future.

Wishing you well