"Issues with waiting time and doctor's attitude at Glasgow A&E"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Accident & Emergency

I fell on my ankle heard the crack went to a&e. I waited near enough 2 hours, to be seen by a doctor who was not really interested, and just told me to let him see ankle. I had tuligrip on, which he told me to remove, but I could not do that as I could't get leg up high enough. He asked how I got it on, I told him my sister put it on. He removed it looked at the top of foot (did not touch or examine foot) and said I'll send you for xray.

The girl who did that xray was more concerned at the bruising etc to ankle. After this I went back to the doctor, who told me it was torn liagaments to rest, elavate, ice and strong painkillers. That was it.

When I have checked this up it does tell you this but also should have been told to put tubigrip on and use crutches. I think, if I was lucky, I saw the doctor a total of 5 minutes. What a waste of time at the glasgow royal infirmary.

Dear Mexie,

Thank you for getting in touch about your recent experience at A&E at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and I am sorry that you had a poor experience.

Your comments have been fed back to the Head of Nursing for the service who has offered the following explanation on how ankle injuries are assessed and treated:

""Thankyou for your recent comments and I am sorry that you have had cause to complain following your attendance at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Injury to the ankle is a very common presentation to the Emergency Department. If in the initial assessment there is tenderness over the bony parts of the ankle or foot then an x-ray is performed to exclude a fracture. If there is no bony injury then a diagnosis of soft tissue injury or sprain is made. The treatment of this is supportive to provide symptom control e.g. pain relief and support with advice to mobilise as much as possible. Patients should be advised to seek further help if their symptoms do not improve and be provided with information on discharge. I am sorry that you feel our management fell short of expectations on this occasion."

I understand that you have since attended the Fracture Clinic at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and have had a very positive experience there, which I am very pleased about.

I hope that this goes some way to addressing the issues that you highlighted, but if there is anything further you would like to add, please do not hesitate to get in contact with me.

Lorna

• mexie doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Update posted by mexie (the patient)

you have addressed the ankle fracture but not the doctor's attitude or waiting time.

the girl that was in the xray department should get a lot of credit, I know the department's and doctor's are very busy as well as nurses but the nurses can show manners but doctors can't.

I was not discharged from hospital he told me what was wrong and the RICE and walked away I had to ask him if that was me finished he just nodded. even the man that was in the cubicle opposite came out and remarked on the doctor's attitude,

if the xray's were not checked later the same day or next morning then there would have been no follow up from the fracture clinic, to the doctor concerned...... I don't think he was doing his job probably, I don't even know his name as he never said which is another issue with doctors I have seen in the hospitals not just the royal.

this was not my first experience of this at the hopital

Dear Mexie,

Thank you for your further comments, I appreciate that the previous response didn't cover the attitude of the doctor so I will look into that point specifically and get back to you as soon as possible.

Dear Mexie,

Once again, I would like to apologise for the poor experience you had at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, particularly with regards to the attitude of the doctor you saw. I would like to assure you that this is not the standard of care we would expect from our staff, however I would need further information to explore this particular case further.

If you would like to progress this further, I would ask that you contact me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk to do so.

I hope to hear from you soon,

hi lorna

I have replied to you via email and have heard nothing from yourself

Hi Mexie,

I am really sorry you haven't had a response from me - I have had a good look through and cannot find an email from you so I would appreciate if you could send it on to me again so that I can address the points you have highlighted specifically.

Once again, apologies for the delay and thanks for getting back in touch.

Update posted by mexie (the patient)

I've now resent my email.

Update posted by mexie (the patient)

update after corresponding with lorna via emails I can say nothing has been resolved. last reply was 21/10/14 I sent email on 11/02/15 asking for and update still waiting for reply.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I apologise for the delay in responding to your request for an update on our actions. While it is kind of you to acknowledge that the staff in the department on the day you attended were very busy, it is during challenging periods that we encourage staff to maintain a high standard of communications, manners and attitude.

I am sorry that this was not your experience with the individual doctor who treated you during your attendance. Your feedback has been shared with the clinical services manager for the area, who in turn will use your feedback as an opportunity to remind all staff of our expectation that standards are maintained. I hope this update is satisfactory, however if not then I should advise you of our route for reporting this as a formal complaint. This may be done via our complaints team by contacting Ann Marie Weir on 0141 211 2258.

Yours Sincerely,