"Poor support during pregnancy"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / Maternity care

I gave birth at paisley royal alexandra hospital in scotland. I am deaf and had complications during pregnancy which meant I was frequently admitted. Communication was poor, I did not know what was wrong or what was happening. there was a telly in the room, but no one bothered to put subtitles on. I was lonely and confused. Nurses would speak to me at night without switching a light on so I could not lip read.

Dear kizzib,

I am sorry to read of your experience in Maternity at the Royal Alexandra Hospital, particularly at what should be a happy and exciting time for you.

Cathy, the Lead Midwife for the Clyde area would like to pass on the following information:

"I am very sorry to hear you had a poor experience at the RAH. It may have been some time ago as we have not had televisions in the rooms for a number of years (since we moved to digital in October 2010). To reassure you, and anyone who has hearing difficulties, nowadays a full assessment would be undertaken and a plan made with the patient prior to admission. The plan may include the use of the recently installed loop system, the support of the BSL interpreting service or other support such as enabling a carer to stay with the expectant / new mother and baby."

I hope that this response is reassuring to you and I would like to thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Best Wishes,