"disabled parking in wishaw general hospital"

About: Wishaw General Hospital

My father has a disabled parking badge and while we appreciate the extra disabled parking facilities in Wishaw general hospital, I was disappointed in the walking distance from the car park to the ward. We were visiting a relative in ward 2 and the nearest available disabled badge holders space was at the rear of the hospital, other than the one right outside the mental health unit, but as we couldn't get access to the unit from this point, we had to park at the rear of the hospital. My father then had to walk a good distance to get to ward 2. It would have made a great difference to my father if there had been access in to the hospital next to said parking bays.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear jetta,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry your father had a difficult visit to the hospital. We know that parking, particularly disabled parking can be a challenge. We have tried to site disabled parking spaces as close to the hospital entrances as possible so that people can come in and access wheelchairs.

I understand that the access to Ward 2 is a secure entrance and arrangements can be made with the ward staff to ensure that your can gain access for visiting.

In the meantime I will share your story with my colleagues in the Facilities and Estates Department and ask them to review the position of the parking bays in relation to accessing the hospital building and they will provide you with an update.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesistate to contact me on 01698 366002.

Best Wishes