"Anxiously waiting for appointment"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / General Surgery

I was referred by my gp to wishaw general for a scope having had return worrying symptoms given my previous medical history. I took the prep the day before which in it selfs is quite an ordeal for someone in their 70s.

Unfortunately I ate a slice of bread that night and when I got to wishaw I was told they would not carry out the procedure and it would have to be rescheduled. I accept that I had read the instruction wrongly and was anxious to receive another date.

My wife contacted the secretary to see when this would happen only to discover that no repeat appt was being organised in fact my wife and the secretary joked that I was the invisible man. The secretary was very helpful and tried to get a cancellation to no avail. My repeat appt is now scheduled for the end of September.

This distant date is causing me stress and anxiety worrying about the implication in delay of the investigation as well as worrying about taking the prep again. I really just want to get this done.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear MrW,

I am sorry to hear of your experience and understand your anxiety, please contact me on 01698 366002 to discuss how we can provide you with support and review the issues with your appointment.

Kind Regards,

Dear MrW,

Lovely to talk to your wife today and I am glad that we have resolved your appointment issue and as agreed our specialist nursing team will call tomorrow and support you through your procedure. I hope all goes well and you both have a lovely holiday.

Best Wishes

Gillian

Update posted by Mrw (the patient)

Just want to say a huge thank you to everybody who looked after me when I had my procedure. All staff were excellent and caring.

When I posted on this site I didn't know what the outcome would be but following my wife's phone call with Gillian (chief nurse) I feel like I have been treated like an individual and not just another name on a waiting list and have been well supported in the run up to my procedure being carried out.

Dear MrW,

I am really pleased to read your feedback, thank you for taking the time to do this. I will pass on your comments to the team involved in your care, who I know will be delighted that you found this to be excellent.

I know you and your wife are off on holiday soon and I hope you can now relax and enjoy your time away.

Best Wishes