"Over heating on Mcullock ward"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital / Urology

I could not believe how hot the ward is, even the staff are suffering. There is a lack of fans, the windows that don't open fully and there is no air con. This is unbelievable in this day and age.

Response from Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback.

The Hospital has a duty of care to ensure that all of its windows in clinical areas are restricted to 100mm as a directive from the NHS for patient safety. To install air conditioning would take resources away from the purchase of equipment for patients so we need to take a balanced view with prioritising what is essential. This would also be disruptive to patients if we had to close wards to undertake this kind of work.

fans have been purchased where necessary and families have been supporting us with the provision of fans on a temporary basis for a relative.

Staff are encouraged to keep well hydrated by having regular water breaks throught out their shifts.

I hope this offers an explanation.

Paul Miles Senior Health and Safety Adviser

Update posted by sailerman (the patient)

Thank you for your reply and I understand your restrictions but coming from a post operative room with air con (3 hour wait as no bed available) and then into a oven did not do my health or comfort any good.

I appreciate that the weather has been extreme temperature wise but this ward has a known issue with over heating due to badly designed windows. Perhaps on warm days a fan should be available before a patient arrives (personnel fans are surely are not allowed due to electrical appliance testing). Long term air con units could be installed, and, as in America, fitted through the windows at low installation cost and very little disruption.

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

I am sorry to hear of your experience while on McCulloch ward. We will ensure your comments are passed on to the relevant staff.