"Fordwich Ward Margate Dreadful on all levels"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My mother-in-law was admitted to Fordwich ward in July 2014 after a slight stroke. The ward was very appressive not good when recovering from a stroke. The nursing staff were very uncaring, no communication between staff, level of therapy sessions, ( well lack of therapy sessions ) very poor. There was no stimulation for the patients that were able to communicate, they were left just to sit and stare at 4 walls. Some of the patients when we visited my mother-in-law were left to sit in there chairs or lying in there beds waiting for staff to help them go to the toilet, whether it be on a comode or actually wanting help to go to the main toilets, that help did not come until it was to late and they had wet themselves. Every time we visited, which was everyday we were helping other patients with there needs because lack of nursing staff, or should I say lack of the staff wanting to move themselves. One patient had been in Fordwich ward for 5 weeks and the words she spoke to me was this ward is deadly. I could go on and on with the faults in this ward, so if you can help it please do not end up on this ward. I do have one positive thing to say there was one very nice and helpful female nurse and 2 very nice, caring and helpful male nurses. ,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry to read about the experience of you and your mother-in-law. Please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net I am happy to talk with you and your family about your experience. We do take feedback very seriously to help us to improve. I hope your mother-in-law is continuing to make good progress.

Response from Stroke Association, Stroke Association

We noticed your post and thought you may be interested to hear about the work of the Stroke Association and how we may be able to support you.

Our Stroke Helpline is there for anyone who has been affected by stroke in any way. You may want to know more about stroke and its effects, be looking for practical information and support, or simply someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 0303 30 33 100. You can also email us at info@stroke.org.uk. We also have a range of services across the UK, providing information, advice and support to stroke survivors and their families. You can find out if there is a service in your mother-in-law’s area by contacting the Helpline.

We were sorry to hear of your mother-in-law’s stroke and that you feel she did not receive good care. It sounds as though the hospital is willing to look into your concerns but if you are still unhappy, it may be helpful to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS is an independent organisation, there to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible. You can telephone PALS at Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital on 01227 783145 or email them at ekh-tr.patientexperienceteam@nhs.net.

Finally, you can also find lots of information about stroke on our website at www.stroke.org.uk. You can read about our services, read or listen to other people’s experiences and download all of our publications free of charge. There is news about our campaigns to improve services for stroke survivors, national and local events and our research programmes. You can also join the Talkstroke discussion group where you can share your experiences with other people who have been affected by stroke.

I hope that this is helpful and that your mother-in-law is now getting the support that she needs to make the best recovery possible.

Stroke Information Service

Stroke Association staff are not medically trained and the information provided does not replace information given to you by your own healthcare provider.