"Exercise for weight loss and age 50+"

About: HMP Nottingham

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

I am a morbidly obese inmate and I have had trouble with my weight for many years now. The fourteen months before I was sentenced, I lost 4 stone in weight, which is gradually going back on and is getting me down. I have only been to gym sessions twice due to abuse from other inmates.

We are encouraged to go to work, which I do on a full time basis and the consequence is you do not get any chance to either go into the yard or even get time for a daily shower.

In my opinion a great deal more is needed for patient 50+ such as gym sessions for over 50s, at least 3 - 4 sessions a week.

Response from Helen Smith 2, Head of Healthcare, HMP Nottingham Offender Health, Nottingamshire Healthcare NHS trust

Thank you for raising your concerns. The points you raise are concerned with prison provision rather than the healthcare provided by Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust. However, we are currently working in partnership with prison colleagues to improve services for the age group you describe. I will ensure that your suggestions are considered as part of the service development.