"I feel much better now, and have a way forward"

About: Inclusion Matters Liverpool

(as a service user),

Hi, I'm a 58 year old male who lives alone. (former researcher)

I was suffering from stress and anxiety for over 2 years as a result of my employment experience at one of the UK’s top universities. Here over a long period of time I was subjected to harassment by one particular member of staff. This coupled with the continued uncertainty of short term contracts resulted in me leaving my employment as I could not take any more. At its worst I thought I was having a heart attack and I could not get out of bed the symptoms were that bad.

I suffered this for months avoiding all offers of medication (anti-depressants) eventually I asked for counselling and my GP arranged this. I had an initial phone assessment then 5 face to face meetings. I got a lot off my chest tears and all.

My advisor got me back into a routine of good habits to break the cycle, it helped tremendously and also highlighted the thing in my life that need change. I feel much better now and have a plan and a way forward. I was never judged just listened to, I'm very grateful to Becky, she’s a top girl. Thanks

Response from Tracey Murden, Inclusion Matters

Dear Clearer294,

Your post highlights how distressing symptoms of stress and anxiety can be. It's good to hear that you found your face to face therapy sessions helpful and have a plan for a way forward. I'm sure your feedback will be encouraging to others struggling with similar symptoms.

Best wishes