"I explained we were there because we are mums carers"

About: Adamson Hospital / Accident & Emergency

(as a volunteer/advocate),

A young carer from Fife said: -

I went into to see doctor. They rushed everything within five minutes. The doctor checked my mum and asked why is the whole family in here, but I explained we were there because we are her carers and her shoulder dislocates and we need to put it back in place.

We were there as a cyst was opening on her chest and because the district nurse told us to come. We felt like we were a nuisance, even though we were told to go.

Care is usually quite good in that hospital aswell.

Response from Gillian Ogden, Clinical Nurse Manager, Planned Care, NHS Fife

Dear Orange2

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on patient opinion.

I was sorry to read about your experience and how you and your family were made to feel when you attended the Emergency Department with your mum.

It would be good to have a further chat about this and I would be grateful if you could give me a call on 01592 648153.

In the meantime, I will share your post with the staff who will be happy to know that you have commented that their care is normally good. However, it is important that we all recognise the admirable job that young carers do and the need for them to be considered at times like these. I look forward to speaking with you.

Gill Ogden