"I’m mums carer and my mum wanted me to be there"

About: Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance Western General Hospital / Gastroenterology

(as a volunteer/advocate),

A carer from Glasgow said: -

Mum has crone’s disease. She was sick and in pain. The doctor spoke to me as though I was stupid. As though I didn’t know what I was talking about. I think because I was young I was treated like that and it took four hours for the ambulance to come for mum. In the hospital I got told to wait outside. I’m mums carer and my mum wanted me to be there.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear apples

I was so sorry to read about your mum being unwell, and that you felt like you weren't being taken seriously when you were trying to look after her. I hope your mum's a lot better.

Without knowing more, I can't explain why the ambulance took four hours to come to you. When doctors have seen patients, and decide they need admission to hospital, they let the Service know how quickly this should be. Depending on the patient's condition, this could be right away, or up to four hours. This allows the Service to keep responding to patients whose condition is immediately life-threatening and need an immediate response, as well as patients with urgent need, who are able to wait a little longer.

Would it help if I arranged for someone to give you a ring and explain how the Scottish Ambulance Service works with doctors and other NHS Boards, so you’re a little more informed, if you need to get help for your mum again? As you say, you are your mum’s carer, so it’s important we support you to look after her.

I’d really like to hear from you to see how I can help.

My telephone number is 0131 314 0065. I hope you give me a call.