"An a&e cubicle on 30/7/14"

About: Heartlands Hospital

I had cause to be in a&e today and the cubicle I was in with my friend was covered in blood splatters (someone else's) and contained three of someone else's false, turquoise nails. There was also a blood splatter on the trolley, which the doctor noticed and cleaned it. Fortunately neither my friend nor I had any open wounds, but I find it absolutely disgraceful to be sitting around someone else's blood splatters. The chart on the wall said the cubicle hadn't been cleaned in six days?? This also comes at a time where risk of the spread of highly infectious, potentially fatal diseases is highlighted in the media. Unfortunately this is not the first time I have spent time in a room in the hospital with someone else's blood. Last time, it was a delivery room in the maternity unit three years ago. After I complained on that occasion I was assured things would be addressed. So you will understand my confidence in any improvement this time is non existent.

Response from Heartlands Hospital

Dear Anonymous Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am really sorry there was inadequate care and treatment given to you at Heartlands Hospital in our ED. I will pass on your comments to our Matron who will look into your concerns. Could you please get in contact with me on 0121 424 0808 or email iona.belgrove@heartofengland.nhs.uk? With kind regards and a speedy recovery Iona

Response from Margaret Mitchell, Deputy head for patient services, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous, I am very sorry to hear of your experience in our A&E Department, I have forwarded your comments onto them for them to review. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Services Team on 0121 424 0808.

Margaret Mitchell