"Awful experience"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

I was admitted to the hospital after a RTA. They care I received in the emergency dept was excellent as was the surgery procedure But when I was transferred to a trauma ward I felt that I was treated with total disrespect. I was on the ward six nights and never offered a shower or assistance to use the toilet I constantly overheard nursing staff discussing & laughing about patients. Very unprofessional . At one point I had to tell the nursing staff there was something not right with my canular in my arm. Her reply was " oh it's come out of the vein that's all" My arm was red swollen & hot as the needle was still in my arm. The whole experience was horrendous!!

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

The Trust is sorry that you have had such a negative expereince and would be happy to investigate this further. If you do wish to take this forward then please contact the Patient Relations Department.