"Recording Power of Attorney (POA) contact details"

About: Queen Margaret Hospital / Geriatric Assessment Queen Margaret Hospital / Ophthalmology Queen Margaret Hospital / Rheumatology Victoria Hospital / Ophthalmology

In March this year I moved house, so I contacted NHS Fife medical records to confirm my new address. What I did not know was that following my mother's cataract operation in January this year, all settings ensuring correspondence is sent to me, was reset to my mother's address.

My mother has dementia and I cannot guarantee that I will see any correspondence that is sent to her.

When an appointment letter for plastic surgery was sent to my mum's address I queried this and thought that the situation had been successfully resolved. As I will be on extended annual leave in October, I had to contact a number of departments (cognitive enhancement review, rheumatology) this week regarding annual appointments. I realised that:

* the change of address details had not been shared, and

* contact details appeared to have reverted to my mother's address.

Why is it so difficult for such basic information to be held and recorded accurately?

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear "Dementia Daughter"

This sounds a very frustrating situation which I hope is now resolved. I agree that it should not be difficult to make and share the necessary changes; however clearly this has not happened on this ocassion and on that basis I am sorry for the additional inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like us to look into the specifics of your case. In the meantime I will make sure that my colleagues in medical records are made aware of your post.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this

Louise Ewing